Thursday 13 September 2007

Fred Reinfeld’s 1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate

This is a wonderful book for practising one’s chess tactics. Having so many puzzles on so many themes really sharpens one’s instincts for the checkmate. The 1001 puzzles are arranged by themes such as “Queen Sacrifices”, “Harrying the King” and “Discovered and Double Check”. I have found myself thinking of possible checkmates much earlier on in my games owing to a greater awareness of potential weaknesses.

Solving chess puzzles has to be one of the most enjoyable ways of improving one’s game. I intend to re-read this book very soon to keep drilling these patterns into my brain. If it is true that a club player understands about 1000 positions, and a club master about 10 000, an IM about 100 000 and a GM about 1 000 000, then learning the 1000 positions in this book would be an ideal step on the path to chess improvement.

I would recommend reading this alongside a theory book, as the theory will help to clarify the practice and give you a better idea of how such positions can come about. I found this book ideal to read on the train as working through it without a board forces the reader to develop their visualisation skills, which will pay off in your games even if you never do manage to make a stunning queen sac.

My only gripe with this book is that the composed problems (the last 70 in the book) are rubbish. The positions are so stupid and contrived that I cannot imagine anything like them has ever come about in a real chess game. I suppose that solving them might give one a greater understanding of the co-operation of the pieces but I just lost patience.

This book is usually available for about a fiver; considering the number of problems in it that represents great value for money. There is even a deal to get the partner volume 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations on Amazon. Bargain!

No comments: