Sunday 7 October 2007

Review of www.eudesign.com/chessops

Although this is ostensibly a book reviews blog this author is taking the liberty of reviewing a couple of websites he has found very useful for improving his game.

I first found this website after repeatedly losing to my friend at chess. Since he was very rude about the way I played I decided to look for “chess opening moves” through Google and this is what I found.

This site is completely free and there are not even any annoying adverts. The look of it is cheap and cheerful but as an introductory guide to the openings it is absolutely brilliant. It is a site that I keep looking back at even now as it is constantly being updated, and I need to keep refreshing my knowledge of the openings I play OTB.

The main problem with this site is that as my knowledge has expanded I have come to realise that it does not cover all of the variations in many openings, and that its evaluation of a few positions is a bit suspect. Any move that you click on that is not in the database automatically comes up as a bad move (“You can do better than that! Try another move!” it says), even when they are good. Also the descriptions of the strategies behind the openings are too brief to either illuminate the novice or to fill out the understanding of an intermediate player.

That said this free site is terribly useful and is the perfect complement to playing chess, particularly if one is playing chess and losing a lot.

No comments: